Re: ITO: LILO

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 06:44:12PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Yes, you obviously don't have time.  Please take responsibility for the
> > software you maintain, and write proper changelog entries.
>
> So what do you expect exactly - that a developer will diff the upstream
> code to describe exactly how the bug was fixed in excruciating detail in
> the debian/changelog?
>
> Get real. It should be sufficient to say that the new upstream version
> closes the bug. If you want more info, read upstream's changelog.

Er, how am I supposed to know what the bug is about, by reading the changelog?
I can't access the bts, it's offline(either because of an error with the
server, or because I have no net connection).

Also, say that I have discovered a bug.  I scan the changelogs, looking for
previous bugs that are similiar.  If we use a changelog line that is similiar
to what this thread is discussing, I will not know anything about what it is
discussing.

All that is really needed is the title of the bug(if the title is correct).

ps: The developer obviously knows(or thinks he knows) that the new upstream
version closed the bug.  Why can't he summarize the bug when he writes the
changelog entry?