Re: Backing up a Debian system

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 11:39:19PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > Take a look inside /var/lib/dpkg/status.  dpkg --get-selections is a subset of
> > that information.
>
> How about
> dpkg --get-selections '*'

The point was that the status database contains other information, in
addition to the selections, which is vital for a proper restore.  E.g., the
version number of the installed package.

In fact, I would say that the entire /var/lib/dpkg hierarchy would not be
too much to backup.  This would ensure that statoverrides, diversions, and
data for similar future mechanisms can be restored.

--
 - mdz