Re: Menu system rewrite update (Aug 1 2002)

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 12:55:25AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
(...)

> What exactly will that mean? I'm personally sick of having to stick all
> my scientific apps into 'Apps/Math' and would like to see 'Apps/Science'
> RSN. Is 'Scientific' just some sort of tool-tip or rather a proper
> category?
>
> Basically, I just vote for a seperate discussion of the Menu hierachy
> before everything will be carved in stone/policy, if possible.

/me too

	I would also suggest a discussion but can we see a proposal
first? Apps/Science could be even further divided into Apps/Science/Biology
Apps/Science/Chemistry Apps/Science/Astronomy.

	IMHO the discussion on menus is tightly related to the discussion
on current sections in our archive (which are too clobbered) and leads to this:

$ apt-cache search Biology
biomode - [Biology] An Emacs mode to edit genetic data
bioperl - [Biology] Perl tools for computational molecular biology
fastdnaml - [Biology] A tool for construction of phylogenetic trees of DNA sequences
fastlink - [Biology] A faster version of pedigree programs of Linkage
(..)
$ apt-cache search Biology |grep "[Biology]" |wc -l
     22

Even:
$ grep  ^Description /var/lib/dpkg/available |grep "\[.*\]" |wc -l
     84

	The use of these descriptions is just a way to dodge the
real problem: our sections are not fine-grained enough!

	Regards

	Javi