Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 07:49:56PM +0300, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 07:01:06PM +0200, Martin Waitz wrote:
> > > There's the question of affected distributions, and for this we have the
> > > tags which are manually set when we need them.
> > storing a version range would enable all scripts to get the list
> > of affected distributions without the need to manually tag bugs.
>
> Finding out where this version range starts requires actual work by
> actual people.  You can't automate that.  The version in the bugreport
> is just the version the submitter happened to use, it doesn't say how
> old the bug is.
finding out which distributions are affected by a given bug is not
much easier

and the maintainer does not always need to find out the exact version,
just one that is included in all affected distributions

i think attaching the bugreport to some versions of the package is
much more natural than to tag it with some distribution-tags that
have to be changed once a package is moved to another dist.

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  [Tali on IRCnet]  [tali.home.pages.de] _________