Re: [hertzog@debian.org: Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective]

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 11:10:32AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:10:44AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen ?crivait:
> > moving packages by hand from whatever is the default to whatever we
> > want to release isn't making the maintainers' lifes easier.  Plain and
> > simple -- it is more work.
> Ok. What about offering that possibility to maintainers who are interested by
> it ?

Please _STOP IT_.

Stop trying to make up cool things that could happen and then trying to
work out if the pros outweight the cons. Work out _the problem_ first,
get agreement on that, work out the general principles about solving it,
get agreement on that, _then_ and _only_ then, work out what that could
mean for the archive.

Then realise that if you're proposing anything large -- like adding
another full distribution for people to run, it probably will take both
years working towards it, and at least three goes at rethinking it from
the ground up before it's even worth trying to write code for it.

Cheers,
aj