Shouldn't desktop environments use *term -ls? (Re: The best recommendation [...])

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> >If one starts X without gnome-session but directly into xterm or
> >x-window-manager -> sawfish to avoid panels etc., "su" does not work
> >unless one explicitly exports XAUTHORITY from ones shell.
> >
> >This happens because $HOME/.profile and/or $HOME/.bash_profile will not
> >be read when bash is invoked in normal/classic X environment.  System
> >is already logged in and login script will be skipped.

It has always bugged me that *term starting buttons/menu entries provided
by windowmanagers or desktop environments call the program without the -ls
switch so that /etc/profile etc aren't sourced by the shell and the
environment isn't set up correctly.

I think that terminal emulators should be started with -ls unless they are
used to run a dedicated program with the -e switch.  This would affect a
lot of packages (window managers, gnome panel, menus, kde) so I would like
to hear other developers opinions on that issue.