Re: The best recommendation for allowing "su" in X

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 at 11:11, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi, I am the author of "Debian Reference" and am soliciting learned
> opinion.
>
>    What recommendation should I give to the reader for "su" in X?
>
> Here is the back ground.  FAQ is:
>
>   "I want to run X from a user account. It is a good thing. But how can
>    I get a program which requires root privilege to run from this X
>    session?"

How about suggesting the use of "sudo", instead? It works, here, and
allows you to delegate root-level work to people without giving out the
root password, and without necessarily having to allow them to do
anything/everything in root. If people want an interactive root shell,
"sudo -s -H" does that.

 --> Jijo

--
Federico Sevilla III   :  <http://jijo.free.net.ph/>
Network Administrator  :  The Leather Collection, Inc.