Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Lasse Karkkainen wrote:
> nothing wrong if PACKAGING it takes 3+ months. People have managed to
> install it from sources in matter of HOURS (well, that didn't work for
> me, dunno why). Based on that packaging it during a single weekend

Installing anything from source is usually very very easy, if the source is
not actual Pure Crap(TM).  And it often is.

Packaging it is not. It takes about 200 times more effort than getting it to
compile exactly right (and I should add, something that seems to work may
not be compiled exactly right).

You have no clue about what you are talking about.

> testing needs to be done before releasing - that's what the Debian
> Unstable is for, right?

No way. That is what Debian *experimental* is for.  Uploading *known* broken
trash to unstable is not acceptable.

> Well, it seems that you almost need 4.2.0 for Woody anyway, if it is
> going to work with any recent hardware (unless you are aiming for
> servers only). Or are you going to hack 4.2.0 display drivers into 4.1.0?

Anyone that needs bleeding edge can survive with unstable.  Anyone else will
have to simply either backport 4.2.0 to stable (which should be damn easy,
since stable will be almost identical to sid when the 4.2.0 packages come
out), or wait/pay for someone else to do that.

> > This is about the rudest message I've seen on this mailing list in a
>
> That's the result of reading your (=Debian developers') rude replies to
> very polite questions asked by other people.

Please name the faulty parties, with message-ids. I am not doubting you, but
I happen to have read very very few messages where *real* registered
developers flamed users in the last 3 or 4 years.

I can come up with a lot of developers that will flame the living shit out
of other developers (or anyone clearly acting as if he were one, or being
downright insulting [and expecting a flame as a reply] like you were), but
most users are pretty safe from flames.  And most developers will get the
crap flamed out of their behinds from flaming users.

> vital for what he is doing and no-one is willing to replace him... Well,

Why should we?  He is doing just fine, and he even manages to tolerate the
abuse from lots of dead-weight, often poorly-manered and sometimes downright
insulting people far better than most of us ever will (or will want to).

  Henrique Holschuh