Re: PostgreSQL update_excuses

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 10:49:12AM +0200, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/update_excuses.html#postgresql :
>
> * postgresql (7.1.3-7 to 7.2.1-2)
>
>     * Maintainer: Oliver Elphick
>     * 12 days old (needed 5 days)
>     * Valid candidate
>
> There is no link to programs it depends from which might be buggy.
>
> Seams I do not really understand update_excuses ...

The problem is not that postgresql depends on buggy packages. The problem is
that upgrading postgresql will break other packages.

postgresql provides libpgsql2. If the new postgresql goes in, the old
libpgsql2.1 goes away, thus breaking any packages which depend on that. The
testing scripts are such that even upgrading 30 packages in testing is
considered not good if it adds even one uninstallable package.

I beleive it can be forced if you wish, by removing any of the packages it
would break. I forget who to ask though.

I beleives it basically due to the library package changing name. I don't
think the testing scripts deal with that very well...

[So, how much did I get wrong?]

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/