Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:09:39AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> hello
>
> we sould stop this and start after woody again...

> > > Sorry, diffs are simply silly! Use rsync with the uncompressed Packages
> > > file and diffs aren't necessary. Or use a packer which doesn't hinder
> > > rsync from saving (gzip --rsyncable).
> >
> > This isn't server friendly.
>
> no. sorry. I must say this:
>
>  We can use rsync on the client site.
>   -> get a rsync-checksum file (use a fix block size)
>   -> make the check on the client site and
>   -> download the file partly per ftp/http
>   -> make the new file with the old and downloaded parts
>
> With this the server need only extra rsync-checksum files.

I beleive this method is patented by somebody, which is why it's not in
use/supported.

Other than that, it's very nice idea. I beleive there may be some
semi-implementations around somewhere. The concept is no different from
normal rsync.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/