Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:28:12PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Jeroen Dekkers
>
> | It does also other things, like making distribution creation more
> | flexible. I'm thinking of having a some kind of package file for every
> | source package. That would include the current information and maybe a
> | lot more things like URL of upstream, license, etc. This file would be
> | stored in every package pool directory
> | (i.e. pool/main/f/foobar/Packages).
> |
> | Then we create a lot of bigger Packages files, only including the
> | packagename, version number and some other things which might be
> | useful (but not too much). Those bigger Packages files can be a lot
> | more flexible, for example we could have a different Package file for
> | different licenses, different upstream projects (gnome, kde, gnu, X,
> | etc), different use of machines (server, desktop), etc.
>
> (I know, old mail, but I am catching up)
>
> It seems like you want to put the control file outside the deb package
> and add more information to it.  (And have apt-ftparchive not include
> all the information from the control file into the packages file.)
>
> Is this about correct?

Yes, at least adding everything which is now in the normal Packages
file. The normal Packages file would just be an index then. I think
this is the best way to do the things I want.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org