Re: The GNU FDL is a free license! (Was: Re: O: gnu-standards --GNU coding standards)

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 05:15:16PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> In fact, XML and HTML (and I would imagine therefore CSS and XSLT) are
> explicitly listed as transparent formats. I'm not going to argue that.
> The problems, although they're transparent, they're programs as well
> as documents.

Blackbird:~$ ./index.html
bash: ./index.html: Permission denied

hmm, doesn't work here :-/

> I'm sure there's typesetting systems (I only have a passing
> familiarity with LaTeX) that are Turing-complete too. What is a
> document, and what is a program?

How about: /usr/bin/latex is a program - my_neat_little_phdthesis.tex is
a file?

OK, perhaps you can summon up all kind of voodoo in .tex-files, but
common sense tells me that you can tell quite easily a .tex document
from a .tex program.

Michael