Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > Well, time to bother him then. I will do this right away.
> Sounds good.

I have subscribed to the autoconf ML, but filesystem issues have been
bothering me the last two days. I should send that email soon.

> > BTW, the autoconf code agrees with the documentation, not with Mr. Demaille:
> Yeah, but ac_tool_prefix is set if --host is given, which affects
> the compiler chosen, etc.  This is actually the source of Akim's
> comment: Ian Taylor was wondering why this behaviour had changed
> from 2.13.
>
> So it is good to clear up with Akim & the autoconf developers
> what the current state and future plans of all this is.

Well, at the very least they have to fix the autoconf code so that one half
actually agrees with what the other half is doing ;)

> > archs, since most of them are of the form "*-unkwnown-linux-gnu" and
> > "*-unkwnown-gnu"

Yikes! I seem to have forgotten how to write 'unknown' properly :P

> I just want to be sure that we understand fully the ramifications
> of setting --host.

Which is a good thing. Lets wait for the reply from autoconf upstream, after
all there is no point in setting --host and --build if what they documented
for 2.52 is wrong...

  Henrique Holschuh