Re: Some thoughts about problems within Debian

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, ext Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article
> <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.33.0201031727520.1335-100000@gradall.private.brainfood.com>,
> Adam Heath  <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
> >Sure, everyone agrees.  This has been hashed over and over and over.
> Talking
> >about it doesn't help.  Solve the problem.
>
> Debian is too big.
>
> Split it up in 'core' (must fit easily on one CD) and 'added value'
> (the other 21 CDs). Release seperately. Release often. 'core' must
> have all packages up-to-date, 'added value' simply uses the packages
> from the previous release for packages that have RC bugs filed
> against them.

This makes a *lot* of sense to me at least. 1-2 CD's are much easier to
keep in top-shape than 21... Of course then there's another huge flamewar
what should be in core and what's extra but at least with two CD's I think
the stuff "everybody" uses will fit in easily.

> Now I'll go back hiding in my shell since I obviously have
> no idea what I am talking about ;)

Likewise... :)

	- Panu -