Re: VIM features

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:56:58PM -0800, Caleb Shay wrote:
> I second this.  For example, at the bottom of /etc/vim/vimrc there are
> several lines commented out "as they cause vim to behave a lot different
> from regular vi".  However, as was pointed out below, vim is NOT the
> default vi when you install, so why not enable some more of it's better
> features.  After all, to make vim the alternative to vi you have to
> manually use update-alternatives.  If you've gone through the trouble to
> do that you are obviously a "vim" user, not a "vi" user, so you WANT
> those features.

Actually, vim does install as an alternative for vi.  At less priority
than nvi obviously since nvi is more pure.  It used to install itself as
like priority 100 for both that and /usr/bin/editor.  Neither of those
were terribly good things, and I am glad to see that they've changed since
potato.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>       Now I'll take over the world

Change the Social Contract?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
	-- Branden Robinson