Re: need some advise for a font package

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 10:32:26PM -0500, Jon Bernard wrote:
> I've packaged xfonts-knickers, the knickers pcf font created by
> Tom Gilbert. Before I upload it I wanted to ask for some advise about
> whether it is right to package a single font.

> I noticed nexus is already there, so either that's the right thing to do
> or it isn't, unfortunately I'm not qualified to say which. :)

> One one hand, I can see how having seperate .debs would be nice, I could
> apt-cache search knickers, then install it without maybe getting a bunch
> of other fonts I wasn't necessarily looking for at that time.

> On the other hand, a package for a single font is a waste of packaging
> space.

I doubt that creating individual packages for fonts can ever even begin
to compare with the archive bloat of architecture-independent
documentation that's duplicated for every arch in a variety of packages.
As long as you give it an obvious name so that it can be grouped later if
needed (xfonts-knickers would seem appropriate enough), I don't see a
problem.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer