Re: guaranteed non-interactive installation and upgrades

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:06:19AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
[...]
>> The packaging of Exim's new major version (v4) will use debconf, the
>> preliminary test packages already do.

>> Because the configuration file format has changed in a fundamental
>> way, the configuration cannot be converted automatically[1] and Exim
>> v4 comes as new packages (exim4-base+exim4-daemon-something) and not
>> as upgrade for Exim v3.
[...]

> Perhaps the best path here would be to run convert4r4 on upgrade, and
> then invoke the debconf questions afterwards to allow appropriate
> customization and let the user know it should be checked over?

Hello,
No, not really. We did not write a complete parser for exim
configuration files that takes any given more or less valid
exim4-configuration file (=the result of convert4r4) and puts it in
debconf. exim4.conf is basically constructed from two parts, an easily
parseable debconf-managed part and a dpkg-conffile holding the common
parts.

I know this is a very crude description, if you want to take a closer
look get exim4_4.10.13{orig.tar,-0.0.4.diff}.gz from
http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/exim4manpages/

There might come an addition to the config script that takes a look at
the installed exim.conf from exim3, and tries to extract the answers
given to eximconfig that generated this file and puts these in the
exim4-debconf-db, so that all/most questions would be preanswered.

> This is
> probably only possible if exim4 is presented as a proper upgrade to exim
> v3 instead of a separate package, however.

If you uninstalled exim (instead of purged) before installing exim4,
switching would be easy once the exim3-parsing was installed.
         cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_