Re: Migration of non-free packages to testing

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:52:36PM +1100, Ian Maclaine-cross wrote:

> For migration to testing, restrictions (a) and (b) require uploads to
> non-free coordinated with manual porting to all previous
> architectures. Debian developer documentation ignores this so
> maintainers overlook it.  Restrictions (a) and (b) are denying most
> Debian users access to some of the latest non-free software. They make
> non-free software harder to use.

[...]

> Does anyone know if this problem is being fixed and when?

The solution usually proposed to this problem is to remove the non-free
archive; then the packages in testing/non-free will be just as current as
those in unstable/non-free.

A sizable number of developers believe that our users are best served by
no longer providing non-free software at all; an even larger number seem
to believe that the non-free section is ok where it is, but are not
inclined to spend any of their own development time working on it.  If
you feel that current management of the non-free archive is not meeting
our users needs, I think you should be prepared to do the legwork
yourself to make the necessary changes to the archive software to support
autobuilding.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer