Re: Debian versioning scheme (r1 vs .1)

Peter Mathiasson wrote:
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:55:47PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:

We shouldn't release 4.0, we should release 4. And the next one should
be 5, and then 6. The minor number is absolutely meaningless and should

We probably should call it Debian '04, given our schedule slips. :)

This may have no meaning for computers, but it may have for humans
("Let's see now, Debian has released a version with a new major number,
there should be quite some changes. I'm curious, maybe I should give it
another try").

If Sun can have it booth ways (ie. 2.8 = 8), we can too. And then everyone's
happy, right?

It's also SunOS 5.8.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu