Re: Spam: process the web archives?

In chiark.mail.debian.devel, you wrote:

>Don't be confused. What is evil and annoying is being spammed.

Being spammed is not evil. The act of spamming is evil. The act of
obfuscating the addresses of people who do not want their email
addresses obfuscated is arguably bad and wrong.

>We should not disseminate email addresses from people who subscribed
>to our lists or allow others to do so. If this means forbidding
>archives of Debian lists which do not protect email addresses, let's
>forbid them.

Why not? If any user feels that they do not wish to disseminate their
email address, they are already free to do something about that. I would
prefer my email address to be easily available to people who want to
contact me, and I'm not going to let spammers increase the awkwardness
of either my life or the lives of those who may want to contact me.

>If sourceforge and geocrawler protects email addresses in their list
>archives, there is no reason why we should not be able to do the same.

Do you believe that finding every single archive of Debian mailing lists
and then either getting the administrator of the archive to obfuscate
them or determining which subscribed address is being used to generate
the archive is a trivial problem?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org