Re: debian.org Jabber server?

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:45:00PM +0200, Brother Siggy Brentrup preached da werd, yo:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 07:53:45PM +0200, Adam Byrtek wrote:
> > Maybe we should consider installing Jabber server on one of
> > debian.org machines? It could improve our contact with users and
> > other developers in many ways: co-maintenance, helping with bugs,
> > translation coordination, user to developer contact, ...
>
> All this already happens with less overhead (introduced by XML) on IRC
> channels. In order for jabber to provide the same functionality,
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html (Multi-User Chat) has to
> mature first, it's in flux and at revision 0.8 since 10/10 only.

There's a difference between "overhead" and "flexibility". XML parsers
these days are actually quite fast and lightweight.

Plus, the multi-user chat JEP is going along very well, and is already
in use in several places; I have no doubt in its ability.

> > faster bug reporting and solving, and many more...
>
> With a specialized (yet to be written) client and a (to be written)
> BTS interface on the server side, bug management might be
> improved. OTOH we want users submitting a bug report to think twice,
> look if what they consider a bug has already been reported and give
> all relevant information. All this is not well suited to IM.

Not necessarily submission of bugs; more *management* of bugs, and stuff
like BTS acknowledgements, etc.

> > More info can be found at http://www.jabber.org/
> >
> > What do you think about this idea?
>
> Jabber has a great potential, e.g. I'm investigating it for remote
> administration where message pushing can be vital. GPG-encrypted
> p2p communiction is a great plus although it requires a quite bit of
> processor power. For conferencing I clearly prefer IRC for now.

I personally find it has way cool stuff, like:
* SSL support
* Support for GnuPG-signing your presence
* GnuPG-encrypted messages
* Flexibility and power (just look at agents and transports)

and a whole lot more.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
Developer - http://kopete.kde.org, http://www.kde.org