Re: Latest samba packages break smbclient

Odd.  There is something wrong, but it is hard to tell what

  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
  deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-fre

I've done apt-get update.

  apt-get install samba --reinstall

fails

  elf@FWY3 /etc/apt > sudo apt-get install --reinstall samba
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  Sorry, re-installation of samba is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
  0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

Yet I have newer versions on this machine that had to come from the
package network since I have only used testing and woody from
ftp.us.debian.org

  elf@FWY3 /etc/apt > dpkg -l | grep samba
  ii  samba          2.2.3a-7       A LanManager like file and printer server fo
  ii  samba-common   2.2.3a-7       Samba common files used by both the server a

This seems like it may be an important problem to diagnose properlt.
Any suggestions?