Re: Mozilla & Galeon updates in sid

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 06:58:54PM +0200, seb wrote:

> > Many people don't use GNOME, so why force them to wait for Galeon when
> > they could be using the latest Mozilla?

> So why not make a special package of mozilla for galeon ?

Go right ahead.

The rest of us already have plenty of work to do in preparing the
packages we *currently* provide, without getting involved with
coordinating two copies of mozilla in the archive.

> > One of those bits of knowledge is
> > that dist-upgrade removes packages, and in fact the basic purpose of
> > dist-upgrade is to remove packages. If they don't want it removed, they
> > should either run upgrade, or manually check dependencies, or heck, even
> > *read* the dist-upgrade information before they hit enter.

> Yes. Users read this informations, but if they want dist-upgrade they
> have to spend time to solve that.

But you don't want dist-upgrade, you just think you do because you don't
understand the purpose of dist-upgrade.  Even if you /usually/ want
dist-upgrade, the fact that you object to galeon's removal from your
system shows that in this case you really do not.

> dist-upgrade removes packages yes, but much of the time it is because
> packages are not used any more. In this case galeon, that is used by many
> people, is not in the sid any more in fact ... people could not
> install it during the days before galeon's package update.

And no one has made any guarantees that unstable will be a distribution
fit for installation at all times.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer