Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:36:32AM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> > a) linuxrc checks if we're in the "problem situation" and calls the script
> >    in question (or the script checks that itself)
> > b) you extend the presented solution into a generic one. First you check
> >    if the situation meets your criteria (i.e. fs in kernel, but extended
> >    fs on disk, extended fs driver available as module) and then you
> >    proceed with the pivot root solution and mounting with the driver in
> >    question.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> Not really. The initrd process is already obscure enough without special
> casing it all over the place. I'm not entirely sure what the right
> solution is, but more magic at build time isn't it.

IMHO the real problem is that the initrd process is defacto undocumented.
Unless you dive into it it's very difficult to understand what's going on.
That's also why there's considerable chaos around the concept and various
tools not really working well together.

The concept itself is not really hard. If there was good docu people
wouldn't have any problems IMO.
*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch