Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 04:38:28PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 10:27:32PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > There are some shared library packages that contain binaries in usr/bin
> > It is generally a bad idea, considering co-installation of
> > shared libraries with different sonames.
>
> <list of packages>
>
> The problem is that we don't have /libexec in Debian GNU/Linux (we do
> in GNU/Hurd). I really think that's a bug and those binaries in these
> library packages probably belong in /libexec.

Most of those programs are intended to be run from the command line.
Are you proposing to create a libexec and then add it to the default
command path?  What would be the point?

In addition, how would moving these binaries to libexec solve anything?
They would remain exactly as difficult to upgrade as they are now.

Richard Braakman