Re: possible mass-filing of bugs: many shared library packages contain binaries in usr/bin

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.cx> immo vero scripsit:

> > No, -dev should have the following entry:
> >
> > Package: libsomething1-dev
> > Provides: libsomething-dev
> > Conflicts: libsomething-dev
> >
> > so that only one version of the -dev package will be installable.
>
> I took a random example from the list (there are probably more of
> these examples, or I was just lucky to get this one). The lucky
> package was libpspell4. The binary in that package is
> pspell-config.
>
> Now what is this binary doing? It gives the following 3 pieces of
> information: version (.12.2), datadir (/usr/share), pkgdatadir
> (/usr/share/pspell). What  the hell should this package do in *-dev?
> It's given information about the pspell installation it is coming with.

This binary should be in -dev so that when linking binaries,
applications can use the information.

Not required at all for running applications linked with it.

I think you have more things to learn first before making
comments.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4