Re: Debian Conference 2 Registration

Wilmer van der Gaast wrote:
> Martin Schulze@lists.debian-devel@Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:54:06 +0200:
> >  You may not aware of the discussion we had last year, when VMware
> >  offered to donate five (or another amount, not sure anymore) licenses
> >  of their vmware product to Debian in order to help us develop
> >  boot-floppies.
> >
> Just wondering, is your computer free or non-free? Did you get all the
> blueprints of your CPU/chipset/VGA/etc? Nahh.. Probably not. Will
> someone give them to you if you want them? Probably not.
>
> Your computer's non-free.. A virtual computer can be non-free too, and
> until Plex86 becomes usable I'll have to use it.. It runs a non-free OS
> as well (as long as someone pays me for doing stuff with Windows, that
> is).

This is your personal decision which is fine and nobody can misaccept
it.  You are free not only to switch between different pieces of Free
Software but also between Free and non-free software.  As long as this
is your personal system and decision and it doesn't affect third
projects badly.

However, if the Debian project would embrace such software (too much),
it would place the wrong signals into the software world and would
make the project lose their creditability.  Just think about the fact
that we refused to put KDE in potato's non-free directory but would
use/embrace/depend on non-free, proprietary software that we may not
even distribute?  Does that sound sane to you?  I hope not.

Regards,

	Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.