Re: Uplink release with Debian

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 10:18, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:10, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > Maybe you could run such a site and use it to promote your AwesomePlay
> > > company?  I doubt that your company would be seen as a competitor of
> > > Introvision and they would probably be happy to work with you.  Maybe
> > > they'd even pay you to produce the Debian packages of their software?
> >
> > Heh.  If only I was that talented.  I'll look into it, tho.  I had
> > started Open Games, and sort of lost interest... maybe I could start
> > that back up again. ^,^  (With a site design that doesn't induce
> > vomitting, like the current one.)
>
> It's not that difficult to do.  Also you could sub-contract parts of the work
> out to some of the people here if you can't do it all.  I'd consider doing
> some of the work.

^,^  Well, I'm right now looking over my current resources (i.e. time,
web space, experience, etc.) and I think the only problem I'd really
have is that I have the web design talents of a diseased monkey on a
stick.  (As you can see from looking at any of the sites I've worked on
all by myself - the only things I've done that are good my best friend,
who is an awesome artist, helped with.)

However, starting a site for this with just one game isn't quite worth
the effort, and Loki is out of it, so I'd need to find other game
companies to work with (already added id to the list, and going to add
bioware/infogrames).

I suppose with some help, slapping together a debiangames.org, including
an apt-gettable list of game demoes, gaming news regarding packages in
Debian, forums, etc. wouldn't be bad.  It's just getting the companies
to let us package the games, and building the site content (I hate the
way every 4 out of 5 oss/linux sites are just PHPNuke or one of its
cousins - it gets very old very quickly)

I'll go ahead an e-mail some of the game companies, if you or anyone
else really wants to help, I can get debiangames.org registered and find
a decent host.  ^,^