Re: [RFC] GNU autoconf and dpkg-architecture

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 10:06:21PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Feb 2002, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > > There appears to be a disconnect between autoconf and Debian on this,
> > > though.  The autoconf docs say (about specifying the system type):
> >
> > Nah, that is just braindamage in dpkg-architecture. It really should return
> > i386-pc-linux-gnu for DEB_*_GNU_TYPE in i386, since THAT is the full GNU
> > type. See #115655
>
> Yes, I apologize for getting this wrong in the first place.

Hey, no worries. This whole GNU config thing is damn hard to get right, I
know I would have done things differently to autotools-dev had I known back
then what I know now...

> I have an update plan for this.  We first have to fix all packages relying
> on the uncanonicalized name that is currently used to allow for both, the

Ouch. That means grepping for dpkg-architecture and DEB_*_GNU_TYPE in all
source packages... better do it now :P

Where is that entire-debian-lintian-lab hosted? It should be good for this.

> Then we can fix dpkg-architecture, and get over it.

And then I can see if I can purge config.sub and config.guess from Debian,
or something equally satisfying :)

> Please help with this.  I am swamped in work, and smaller issues like I
> often have to drop or stall for a while.

I shall try.

> I am not so sure about specifying --build and --host unconditionally, but
> you gave good arguments and I am not aware of a situation were it would
> reasonably fail.

And as always, the 0.1% of the packages that need to do it differently can
simply do so -- their maintainers should have no problems at all convincing
us about that, if it is indeed true.

  Henrique Holschuh