Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:59:25PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Nicolas" == Nicolas Boullis <Boullis.Nicolas@libertysurf.fr> writes:
>
>  Nicolas> Hi!
>  Nicolas> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:41:54PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  >>
>  >> You realize that you are asking more of this script that you
>  >> ask of dpkg? What happens if you try making a non-conffile into a
>  >> conffile? You think dpkg is going to check md5sums of old files
>  >> before asking? You think dpkg even preserves user changes?
>
>  Nicolas> I do realize that I'm asking more of this script than I ask of dpkg.
>  Nicolas> But, AFAIK, dpkg is not supposed to correct previous mistakes of
>  Nicolas> maintainers.
>
> 	Neither is this script. Correcting mistakes of previous
>  packages is a side effect that it provides.

OK! But this thread began with Peter Galbraith who wanted to declare a
new conffile, without lots of questions for the user.

I guess we should stop this discussion. I misunderstood what your
scripts was meant for.

Anyway, you should perhaps repost this newest version of your script to
the `Protecting user changes in developer scripts handled files' thread.

Regards,

Nicolas