New project: Debian-Med

Hello,

a new year seems to be the right starting point for a new project :).

So here we are:

      ____         _      _                       __  __            _
     |  _ \   ___ | |__  (_)  __ _  _ __         |  \/  |  ___   __| |
     | | | | / _ \| '_ \ | | / _` || '_ \  _____ | |\/| | / _ \ / _` |
     | |_| ||  __/| |_) || || (_| || | | ||_____|| |  | ||  __/| (_| |
     |____/  \___||_.__/ |_| \__,_||_| |_|       |_|  |_| \___| \__,_|

is an Debian internal project to support tasks of people in medical care.
Debian-Med will have two main components: Support for general practice and
laboratory research.

The general idea is adopted from the Debian Junior project:
      http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr

So we provide a set of packages which have dependencies from Debian packages
which help solving certain tasks.

At first glance I have the following packages in my mind:

  For General Practiciants:

    - GnuMed
         http://www.gnumed.org/
      There will be ITPs for GnuMed and its tools soon from myself.
      GnuMed will be a major part of Debian-Med and I will have focus
      my own packaging work on this project.

    - FreePM
         http://www.freepm.org/
      FreePM is an open source physicans office management & electronic
      medical record application.
      This is a Zope based project and there are reference implementations.
      I think it would be worth packaging for Debian.

    - Open Infrastructure for Outcomes
         http://www.txoutcome.org/
      Open Infrastructure for Outcomes (OIO) system facilitates the creation
      of flexible and portable patient/research records. It aims to achieve
      the "Holy Grail" of data portablity as elegantly described by
      John G. Faughnan.
      Another Zope based project.

    - FreeMed
         http://www.freemed.org (seems to be temporarily offline??)
      Similiar to FreePM but PHP/MySQL based.
      I personally prefer GnuMed because it uses PostgreSQL and has
      a clear Client/Server structure but perhaps FreeMed yould be
      turned into a nice web client to GnuMed.

  Microbiology (if there are Debian packages I just name the package URL)

    - ncbi-tools6 - NCBI libraries for biology applications
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/ncbi-tools6.html
      (actively maintained by Aaron M. Ucko)

    - seaview - A multiple sequence alignment editor
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/seaview.html
      (orphaned)

    - clustalw - A multiple sequence alignment program
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/clustalw.html
      (maintained by myself)

    - phylip - A package of programs for inferring phylogenies.
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/phylip.html
      (maintained by myself)

    - treetool - An interactive tool for displaying trees
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/treetool.html
      (orphaned)

    - molphy - Program Package for MOLecular PHYlogenetics
        http://www.ism.ac.jp/software/ismlib/softother.e.html
      (my package is in incoming)

    - fastdnaml - A tool for construction of phylogenetic trees of DNA sequences
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/fastdnaml.html
      (maintained by myself)

    - njplot - A tree drawing program
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/njplot.html
      (orphaned)

    - readseq - Conversion between sequence formats
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/readseq.html
      (maintained by myself)

    - tree-puzzle - Reconstruction of phylogenetic trees by maximum likelihood
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/tree-puzzle.html
      (maintained by myself)

    - ARB
        http://www.arb-home.de/
      Integrated package for data handling and analysis.
      I have preliminary packages of the recent Beta available.  There
      are several issues to sort out (especially concerning licenses of
      Arb itself and the tools used by Arb).

  Documentation and Research

    - BioMail
         http://www.biomail.org/
      Nice if you are seeking for relevant literature.
      Once there was an ITP for this program by another Debian developer.  I
      builded preliminary packages and suggested some changes upstream to
      speed up packaging process.  The maintainer who wanted to package it
      seemed to lost interest and so just feel free to take over my
      preliminary work which needs some cleaning and some discussion with
      upstream.

    - Medicine-HOWTO
         http://mobilix.org/Medicine-HOWTO.html

Todo-List:

   - Project page at debian.org
   - Mailing list
   - Logo? (Perhaps some skilled painter could take the idea of the GnuMed
     logo and replace the GNU by the Debian swirl - just an idea)
   - Packages ...
   - Documentation (including translation)

Further Links:

   http://www.linuxmednews.com/projects/
   http://www.openhealth.com/en/healthlinks.html
   http://www.omp.de.vu  (German)

I'm looking foreward for comments, suggestions and most importantly - help!

Kind regards

         Andreas.