Re: Proposal: Virtual package motif, motif-dev

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 10:09:43AM +0100, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> I´m dealing with a package which would compile either with lesstif or motif.
> I have to make it build-depend from one of them in the current state.
> I would really like to have the freedom to use just the installed
> flavour od the motif providing library.
[...]
> I´m a little bit unsure if it is OK to have such a virtual package because
> there is only one *free* package which would resolve the dependency because
> motif is non-free.
>
> Opinions?

Please propose this to debian-policy as an amendment to Policy 12.8.8.
I can't think of a reason to object to your proposal, but you should
probably ask Herbert Xu since he maintains Lesstif for Debian.

You can find the recommended procedure for making policy proposals in
the debian-policy package, but I don't know of a version at the official
Debian website.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.