Re: merged messages mystery

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 04:21:35AM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:

> * Andres Salomon <dilinger@mp3revolution.net> [010405 04:09]:
> > /var/spool/mail/dilinger/
>
> Ok, I have two issues
>
> * Use maildir, ignore the possible underlying problems!

Ok, this is true, but I was under the impression that it was an issue of
the format itself.  If it's a bug in procmail, that would be a different
story..  However, I had the same problem when using exim to directly filter
mail.  Likewise, the behavior happens under both exim and postfix, so I
doubt it's an MTA issue.  And, finally, I'm also using reiserfs (everywhere),
but I haven't seen any other corruption.  For a file that's continually
growing, I'd imagine that I'd see it elsewhere; various logfiles, for example.

> * Use maildir, waste inodes!  Whats your quota again?!

Not really.  As I said, it's only incoming mail that's stored in Maildir
format.  After I've read it, mutt moves it to ~/Mail/mbox.  So unless
I receive a few thousand personal emails w/in a few hours, I should be
safe ;P

--
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited
by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when