Re: virtual package (x-)editor ?

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 03:57:32PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> That's wrong. The correct thing to do is check for the environment
> variables VISUAL and EDITOR, and then fall back on /usr/bin/editor (Not
> /etc/alternatives/editor -- nothing is supposed to use that except the
> update-alternatives stuff.) Or just call /usr/bin/sensible-editor, which
> will do the checks for you. All this is in Debian Policy 12.4. In particular,
> the last sentence of that section is

This thread already came up within the past 3 months.  How about you
folks reread it before going nuts with unnecessary new infrastructure.

There's no reason a user or local sysadmin can't point EDITOR to some
wrapper that tests "$DISPLAY" and behaves accordingly.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I had thought very carefully about
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     comitting hara-kiri over this, but