Re: [ITA] Intent To Adopt Readseq

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Don Gilbert wrote:

> See http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/soft/molbio/readseq/ for 'official'
> source archive of readseq.  I'm not aware of where the Debian group
> version came to be from.  The C version 1 is now no longer developed
> by me, version 2 in Java is actively developed by me.
Yes, I know this Don and I would really like to package your latest upstream
version.  In fact I would love to sponsor a package if you would like to
package your latest version yourself.  The problem with the latest upstream
is that it probably would have to be moved from main to contrib (perhaps
you could assure me that it would not depend from any non-free Java stuff??
I would love to hear that!)
Moreover I´m in the process of packaging Arb (http://www.arb-home.de/)
which includes a copy of ReadSeq.  They did some patches against your
Version 1 and I just have to make clear some issues about that.
So I have to decide whether I include the patches in the existing Debian
version (if they do not break anything else) or to stay with the patched
version inside Arb.  Sorry but I personally have no interest in a version
which might not help in my plan to package Arb.  In Debian you have to find
a volunteer or do it yourself (I offer sponsoring) to get a certain software
included.

Kind regards

       Andreas.