Re: squid cache

    Matt> What do you see in the squid logs when you do the second
    Matt> update through the proxy?  Are you getting a miss?  Are you
    Matt> certain that the second system is properly utilizing the
    Matt> proxy?

Yes and yes.

I noticed something really strange about apt though (the earlier
version I had installed at the time), it down-loaded the same file
twice (in the case apt). Weird. I even saw the file twice in the
output of apt.

Anyway, from my log files, this was the first time I down-loaded it:

1002867566.597 657810 192.168.87.132 TCP_MISS/200 4194 GET http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.5.4_i386.deb - DIRECT/203.16.234.20 application/x-debian-package

Not sure what this is, 2 minutes later, I can't remember it myself,
however, it says it should be cached:

1002867660.058  93461 192.168.87.132 TCP_HIT/200 368098 GET http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.5.4_i386.deb - NONE/- application/x-debian-package

Now trying it on another computer (approx. 5 minutes later):

1002868015.839  10828 192.168.87.130 TCP_MISS/200 4526 GET http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.5.4_i386.deb - DIRECT/203.16.234.20 application/x-debian-package

Over 2 hours later, the first computer downloads it *again* for some
unknown reason which I really can't remember:

1002876131.609 403940 192.168.87.132 TCP_MISS/206 4194 GET http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.5.4_i386.deb - DIRECT/203.16.234.19 application/x-debian-package

and again:

1002876199.324  67714 192.168.87.132 TCP_MISS/206 247895 GET http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.5.4_i386.deb - DIRECT/203.16.234.20 application/x-debian-package
--