Re: sysctl should disable ECN by default

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:

> > > But tell me, in case there's an IMAP client that has some problems with
> > > the IMAP protocol. Should a Debian box by default *refuse* to talk
> > > to it or should the default be to try to talk to it (provided that it
> > > can)?
> >
> > Are you joking?  If someone filed a bug against my package saying I should
> > make changes to it to accomodate a broken client (equivalent: my IMAP server
> > sends back a valid IMAP response and this causes the client to segfault), I
> > would immediately close the bug with a smile and a have-a-nice-day.

It's funny you should bring this up because this is exactly what happened
yesterday.  Apparently the mail client in Mac OS X doesn't handle mailbox
subscriptions and changing the mailbox root like every other IMAP client
in existence can.  I was requested to make a change in the uw-imapd
package to accomodate this and I refused.  I'll make changes that will
help people with problems up to a point -- the point where it negatively
impacts other users.  I think most Debian developers feel the same way.

> Good for you. And the people that *need* a working server as in "it forks
> for *me*" will move on and ignore you. That's your choice. It's the choice
> Debian is making now.

Well that's their choice.  Sometimes you can't please everyone.  In this
case turning on ECN is the right thing to do.  Each user has to decide
whether they can deal with that or not.  Debians sole responsibility is to
see it is properly documented somewhere.  If people don't read the
documentation, we needn't waste any sympathy on them.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>