Re: How many people need locales?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:39:57AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:

> I have yet to meet a person who would ever need a slovak locale.
> Nobody cares at all (collate order? who needs that? Different
> format of numbers? This is not only unneeded, but even harmful.
> Different format of date? Who cares.. Gettext? Maybe, but nobody
> I know is using it, because they mostly understand english and
> slovak menus are more difficult to get used to when 70% of applications
> would be in English anyway).
> The _only_ _sole_ reason why people (I know) are using locales is to
> allow passing of 8-bit chars unaffected to/from the console (xterm, X,
> etc...)

I mostly agree, LC_CTYPE is the main thing I'm interested in with locales,
except for one other thing.  Date format is *very* important.

To explain, my parents' anniversary is 8/1/63.  Shall I congratulate them in
August, or in January?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A