Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

Le Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:19:42PM +0200, Richard Atterer écrivait:
> > And that's a mirror where we I only have i386. So multiply by 10 arch,
> > then by 50 languages, and you get 10Gb of Packages file. We could reduce
> > that if we remove uncompressed Packages but still ...
> >
> > And a good part of those packages files changes daily ... so the mirror
> > need to download many data each day. That's not acceptable.
>
> Oh, but you're not comparing this to the requirements for centralized
> translation packages: If you do, there is no difference, *if* you
> assume that the translation packages would also have to be released
> per arch.

First :
. a .deb package is compressed whereas "Packages" file from the mirror
  are not
. i explicitely stated that the translation would be "Architecture: all"
  packages

So there's a *big* difference if you take the time to calculate the
numbers.

> Furthermore, as mentioned before, translation packages have the
> disadvantage that new Descriptions, i.e. _the_ones_you_are_most_likely
> _to_look_at_, will *not* be translated because you haven't yet
> downloaded the latest translation package.

I already said that in my very first email ! I acknowledge this as a
limitation. But since the goal is to be able to display translated
description for our users (who are using stable, no ?) ... it's not a big
deal if the geeks who are running unstable don't see the translation
while it doesn't exist yet (or while they haven't updated their packages
description file) !

> You might argue that it's not necessary to make the translation
> packages arch-dependent. I think that's debatable, as some arches are
> way out of sync. gettext would help a bit, at the cost of depriving

Beeing out of sync or not is not a problem since Description fields
changes *very* rarely. All arches would benefit from the same number
of translations ...

And I find that having translations is far better that having not a single
one and refusing to add them because we can't have the perfect solution
right now.

Cheers,
Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com