Re: Translating Debian packages' descriptions

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 02:28:45AM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 09:12:52AM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:11:45AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > > Of 8 friends of mine that are using debian, I know that:
> > > 2 would want fallback hungarian->slovak->czech
> > > 1 would want fallback lithuanian->slovak->czech->russian
> > > 1 would want fallback slovak->hungarian->czech
> > > the rest would want fallback slovak->czech
> > > I prefer original English version
> > >
> > > nice statistics :-)
> >
> > Sure, that would be great. But, AFAIK, no i18n mecanism can handle that for
> > now. Feel free to fill a wishlist bug report against gettext.
>
> It's not well documented (neither gettext (3) or setlocale (n) seems to
> mention it), but:
>
> ~ $ date -h
> date: invalid option -- h
> Try `date --help' for more information.
> ~ $ LANGUAGE=xo:eo_EO:de_DE:en date -h
> date: Ungültige Option -- »h«
> Mit `date --help' bekommen Sie mehr Informationen.
> ~ $

yesterday I ask google and groups.google and find some pointers but no
real documentation.

I don't test this real, use this a fallback per
 - mo file, or
 - message?

If it is per mo file, it is not usefull for our problem. But we can
patch gettext. IMHO a per message based fallback is for normal gettext
application also a nice thing. (with this someone can make a
de_AT:de_DE:de:fr)

If gettext support this per message (or if we patch it otherwise):

   Please, please dpkg and apt maintainers/developers use gettext for
   the translation!

   With gettext we have all, what we need and this all with some nice,
   small patches.

Gruss
Grisu
"Now let me explain why this makes intuitive sense."  --- Prof. Larry Wasserman