Re: maybe a (long-term) solution to the translations problem andothers

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 07:54:32AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> > 	And what version number is this incrementally updated .deb
> >  file going to have? Remember, the control.tar.gz file has the version
> >  encoded (as does the changelog in the data.tar,gz).
>
> I wouldn't change the version. After all, the main contents of the package
> haven't changed, so there is no need to upgrade for people who already
> have that package installed.
[snip]

An alternative would be to assign new version numbers automatically
whenever any party uploads an updated "part" of the .deb. For example,
added translations could result in the same type of version number as
binary NMUs.

BTW, we would need to avoid excessive recompilation for the case that
the developer uploads first, followed a few days later by the
translators. The "translation merging server" would have to take care
of this and update not only the source package, but also update and
re-upload all binary packages. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way
to prevent people tracking unstable from downloading things
repeatedly...

Cheers,

  Richard

--