Re: Debian doc-base policy.

"Steve M. Robbins" wrote:

> Hi Yoshito,
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:02:50PM +0900, Yoshito Komatsu wrote:
>
> > I updated a draft.
>
> Many thanks for taking the initiative on straightening out the
> doc-base.  I think this will be a large help.

Yes!

> > /* Debian doc-base policy */
> >
> > Apps/
> >  Desctiption:
> >    Apps/ is a section for applications' documents.
> >    All applications are filed according to its functionality.
> >    (e.g. AbiWord under Apps/Editors, GIMP under Apps/Graphics,
> >    GNotes! under Apps/Editors, Modem Lights applet under Apps/Net)
> >  Subsections:
> >    Databeses
       Databases
> >    Editors
> >    Emulators
> >    Graphics
> >    Hamradio
> >    Math
> >    Net
> >    Programming
> >    Tools
> >    Technical
> >    Text
> >    Shells
> >    Multimedia
> >    Viewers
> >    System
> >    Games
> >    Help

I agree with Steve's comments, so I won't repeat them.

I'll add:

 - the current scheme has a top-level menu for Games split into
   many subsections.  Are you proposing to drop it down into
   Apps, adding an extra level of navigation?

 - I've wondering in the past if docs registered with doc-base
   shouldn't be under a menu entry called Documentation (with the
   action of lauching a web browser in its index page).  But
   that's probably redundant (except users see the menu before
   they learn of dwww, dhelp and doc-central).

 - Terminal emulators (rxvt, xterm, etc) should keep a top-level
   menu.  No-one want to navigate too much to open a terminal.

Peter