Re: Requesting advice on build dependencies

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 08:26:26PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> was heard to say:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 02:11:59PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   Ok, I guess I'll do that.  A new version is in Incoming with [! foo-arch]
> > tags on the build-dependencies.  (yuck!)  I agree, conditional build-deps
> > would be nice.
>
> isnt it enough to have alternatives?  Build-Depends: SDL | CGI

  This is what I was doing in the past; it doesn't work, for reasons I
explained in my initial message.  Essentially, autobuilders were not
installing both SDL and GGI even if both were available; worse, both
SDL and GGI versions of heroes had somehow been compiled on some platforms
in the past (I'm not sure if it was a manual compile, a rogue autobuilder,
or what)
  These two factors combined to cause heroes not to be installed
into testing (if my understanding of update_excuses is correct): one of the
binary packages for heroes was perpetually 'out of date' on some platforms
(alpha and arm), causing the testing bot to ignore it.

  Daniel

|          Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the               |
|          process he does not become a monster.  And when you look           |
|          into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.                      |
|           -- Friedrich Nietzsche                                            |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/