Re: cramfs problems, also file(1)

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:27, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  skaya> and this support requires a specific patch. if this patch is
>  skaya> not applied, the package will be unusable.
>
> 	At the moment. How long is this going to be the case? Is the
>  patch never going to go into the kernel? Is there never going to be
>  another patch that does similar things? Are your patch-detecting
>  patterns never ever going to go out of date?

I agree totally.

> 	If the answer is that things may indeed be mutable, who is
>  going to keep track of the mutability? How are you going to handle
>  people using kernel-package with different variants of patches and
>  kernel-versions?

Yep.

>  skaya> testing whether or not the patch is applied would save a lot
>  skaya> of time for people with funky kernels (i.e. not using debian
>  skaya> sources for kernels).
>
> 	Umm, no. The human said: make it with initrd, and that is what
>  we are going to do. We are not going to make half-baked guesses about
>  whether the human is wrong, on the assumption that the patch applied
>  is the same one we know about.

But this is missing what I consider to be the pertinant issue.  I think that
it is a reasonable expectation that searching for kernel-patch in dselect
should bring up all kernel patches that are being used in the Debian project.

Therefore if there is a kernel image in Debian I should be able to search for
kernel-patch and find all patches that are necessary for the production of
that kernel image.