Re: release names after Toy Story

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 04:30:03PM -0500, Bud Rogers wrote:
> This weekend I spent some time watching DVD's of the animated series ReBoot
> and it struck me this would be the perfect source for release names after Toy
> Story.  Like TS and TS2, ReBoot is all digitally animated.  The entire series
> takes place in a kind of virtual reality inside a computer.  The characters
> are all various aspects of computer programs or processes.  Their lives are a
> continuing saga of conflict with viral invaders and occasional onslaughts by
> the mysterious User.  The dialog is rife with computer puns.  It seems like a
> perfect fit to me.

I don't think it's a good idea to use identifiers from one domain to
refer to things in a nearby domain.  Witness the unpleasantness of having
a package named 'woody' in testing.  Consider how bad it sounded when a
machine named after an expired developer had hardware problems.

'Reboot' is a bad source exactly because it has too much to do with
computers.

I think we have another 15 years of names left in TS{,2}.  Next is
'Sarge', right?  'Etch'?

						- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>  | Policeman: You're playing God!
unix brujo, shutterbug, bookworm     | Dr. Hfuhruhurr: *Somebody* has to!