Re: Intent to Rewrite: pwgen

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Theodore Tso wrote:

> Actually, I've thought about this some more, and I think I can provide
> backwards compatibility at the command-line level, at least for
> scripts.  The trick will be using isatty(0) ala ls to provide
> different defaults dependin on whether it's being run interactively by
> a user or being run as a script.  (Of course, the paranoid script
> writer can use options to force a particular set of behaviours if
> he/she doesn't want to depend on isatty() working correctly.)

If so, it needs to be made VERY clear in the manpage, but it's fine with
me. Although I think the shell wrapper is an easier and "cleaner"
solution. The behavior you suggest is certainly smart, but pretty much
unexpected from most scripts writers I think.

Cordialement,

--
Vincent RENARDIAS
Directeur Technique