Re: localization fails

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Michael Piefel wrote:

> Am 29.05.01 um 11:25:12 schrieb Filip Van Raemdonck:
> > lucretia:~$ LANG=nl dpkg --help | tail -n1
> > Use `dselect' for user-friendly package management.
>
> This in fact _is_ wrong, as "nl" is not valid. Should be nl_NL,
> probably.

Using a single two-letter code like "nl" used to work in potato.

Under woody, it works for certain programs like gpg. For some others like
dpkg you have to use a full ll_CC locale. Funny...

> > dpkg *does* have nl messages available. I also tried a couple of variations
> > on the LANG variable, such as ll_CC abbreviations, setting LANGUAGE instead
> > of LANG, etc. Nothing worked.
>
> If even nl_NL didn't work - did you try de_DE for instance? (Have you
> even told your system to generate the right locale in /etc/locale.gen?)

Try msgunfmt /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/dpkg.mo. If you can't
see the message there, it may be a "fuzzy" translation in the nl.po file
in the source code.