Re: script for on-disk configuration file backup

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 09:01:02AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> * Matt Zimmerman
>
> | IMO, setserial should be changed to use /var/backups, since that is the
> | FHS-blessed place for such things, and it tends to have more space available
> | than /etc.
>
> ? It is?
>
> [...]
>        Several directories are `reserved' in the sense that they should not be
>        used arbitrarily by some new application, since they would conflict with
>        historical and/or local practice.  They are:
>
>            /var/backups

Looks like I should have done more than check whether FHS mentions this
directory.  Debian's use of it certainly falls within the historical use of
this directory.

> Asking because I'm adopting cfengine, and it includes /var/backups and
> lintian flags that as an error.

What does it use it for, out of curiosity?  I thought cfengine made all its
backups to the repository (usually /var/spool/cfengine).

--
 - mdz