Re: how to implement a renamed package

> Thanks, - I know this and have done it previously in the case of
> zicq and krolden.  However, what I really wanted to know is, how
> this (or any other) procedure can take care that the users of the
> old package will get the renamed package automatically updated with
> 'apt-get upgrade'?

Oh, I see, the simple replaces and conflicts won't work there (I just tested it
on some dummy packages because I thought it would, but you are right, it
doesn't.)

> Otherwise, the new (renamed) upstream version
> could be easily overlooked and the users would just wonder why the
> old package is removed from the archives.
> As far as I know the standard procedure depends on the active
> selection of the renamed package, and the only replacement-effect is
> that it will remove the old package when it is installed. But the
> problem is: How shall the user know that the new package replaces
> another package with a different name?

I haven't found anything better than Ben Burton's suggestion of the dummy
package foo that depends on newfoo, that isn't very graceful, I'll admit.

David