Re: build depends on kernel-headers

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 10:27:53AM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:

> Actually, I'm not even completely convinced that having them in the
> kernel-image package name is particularly beneficial.  But, even if we leave
> that the way it is, I don't think it's impossible to arrange for kernel-headers
> to be named differently.

Kernel-image packages need to have version numbers encoded in them so that
upgrades can happen smoothly.  Kernel-headers need the version numbers as
you may have multiple kernel-images packages in the archive.

The thing is, kernel-headers should not be used at all unless you're
compile glibc, or modules.  Anything else will break.